Communications Strategist (Digital)
Join us and use your skills for good!
- Job Type: Full-time, 5 day week role
- Location: Redfern / remote + WFH
- Salary band: Mid-weight
- Salary Range: $90,000 + super (subject to experience)
The branches of our agency are all rooted in the same purpose: to do work that changes the world for the better. We’re at a moment in time where bold solutions and big ideas are needed. At Marlin, we use our talents every day to provide them.
Come and join our purpose-driven, award-winning agency!
- Spend your working days using your skills for good;
- Be part of a fun, compassionate and high-performing team;
- Build new relationships with charities that are changing the world through groundbreaking medical research, mental health initiatives, animal welfare, overseas development and more;
- Contribute to the digital growth and success of Marlin and enable us to help even more charities create change.
Our clients include some of Australia and New Zealand’s leading charities including Médecins Sans Frontières, RSPCA, Fred Hollows, Amnesty International and Bush Heritage Australia.
Organisational context for the position:
Charities are a wonderful vehicle for creating change because they empower ordinary people to become advocates and supporters of causes. Marlin was created to help charities get people to join them, and then hold on to those people.
Much of Marlin’s success has arisen from our ability to navigate the uncertain space between strategic intentions and creative and digital execution. Our clients trust us because of our experience, and their loyalty and endorsement has helped create a sustainable level of new business through word-of-mouth.
To achieve scale and help more organisations grow and strengthen their fundraising and marketing, we need to increase our visibility in the sector with a particular focus on growing the digital arm of the business.
We are currently expanding our Sales and Marketing team, and are looking for a Communications Strategist (Digital) to help implement Marlin’s digital sales plan successfully, contributing to Marlin’s growth and profitability.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Taking initiative to create your own digital development new business pipeline using proactive sales techniques;
- Competently developing plans for sales conversations – using relevant data from sales CRM (Pipedrive) to guide interactions;
- Building relationships with prospective charity clients and converting leads to sales.
- Be an excellent relationship builder with a consultative sales approach that earns trust and confidence;
- Have a proven track record generating new business leads and showing the tenacity to convert them to sales;
- Have a strong understanding of digital development, proactive in understanding industry trends, available solutions from partners and the wider marketplace;
- Be a great communicator, confident negotiating the appropriate agreement of fees and timings.
Academic or trade qualifications:
- Understanding of business, marketing and communication principles, gained from a relevant degree or postgraduate studies;
- Understanding of digital development space including website development solutions (specifically WordPress), CRM and payment gateways and digital fundraising will be beneficial in this role.
Work experience and skills:
- 5+ years experience in digital, sales, fundraising, or business development role/s
- Experience working in the NFP sector with a good understanding of charities and fundraising is desirable
- Ability to work well under pressure and to tight time constraints
- Advanced computer literacy skills and knowledge of marketing automation software
- Experience using a sales CRM, project management tools and resource scheduling software
- Solutions focused and a strategic thinker with experience writing sales proposals to promote products and services
- Self-motivated, ability to work remotely and flexible with the ability to adapt
- Commercial awareness with the ability to understand varied audiences
- Able to estimate the scope of work required to meet clients’ needs
- Familiar with the type of services that Marlin offers, and comfortable with describing what clients procuring those services need
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong stakeholder management skills, experience working with a wide range of people with a wide range of personalities and roles
- Ability to work in a clean and consistent manner with proper record keeping and documentation
- Ability to engage empathetically with colleagues
- Confidence and positivity – a ‘can-do’ attitude
Marlin is constantly working towards making our agency the best place to work, for everyone. We believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to creating real and impactful change for social good that the world desperately needs. We encourage everyone who wants to make a difference, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
Marlin is a team of over 40 people brought together by a common set of beliefs and values. Our team of strategists, creatives, project managers, developers and digital experts have all made a conscious decision to specialise in the not-for-profit space.
Our combined experience spans mainstream agencies and in-house at charities. This means we know what it takes to create a global brand, build a high performing website and manage a fundraising campaign from the inside.
We create brand identities, multi-channel marketing campaigns, direct marketing-based appeals, social media campaigns, peer-to-peer fundraising events, donor care newsletters, and digital communications platforms for the for-purpose sector.
We’re a values-driven organisation creating values-led work. Our culture is underpinned by our values and we live them out through our everyday actions and behaviours.
|Continuous Improvement||Every day is a new opportunity to learn, grow, extend, expand, reveal. When we nurture our ‘constant improvement’ we find solutions, overcome obstacles, and expand into new territories.|
|Compassion/Empathy||Every piece of work we create is inspired by our compassion for people and planet. Every connection we make is enriched by empathy. This inspires the way in which we communicate as Marliners – with our team, with our clients, with the sector. No matter our differences, compassion and empathy are the bridges that bring us together.|
|Happiness||Happiness is an energy. When we nurture our best selves, our most joyful selves, our ideas will flow, our communication will improve, and the relationships that matter to us, will thrive.|
|Truth||Charities rely on integrity, it is essential that as a communications specialist in our field, that integrity and honesty pervade all of our ideas, our communications and the way we work.|
|Determination||There isn’t much water in a desert, but if you keep looking you will find it. (and if you don’t, keep looking, you will find it.)|
|Purpose||When we recognise the bigger purpose of our work – to make the world a better, fairer, more equal place for people, then we can bring that depth of regard and purpose to every aspect of our work.|
|Respect||Treat everyone with the same level of care and respect. We want to be a place that displays its values proudly in every interaction, that is how we affect broader change in our sector and in our society. It all starts with respect.|
Our commitment to sustainability
We’re proud to be a B-Corp which means we have been independently assessed as a business force for good. It is a simple illustration of our values in action.
To achieve this we are required to prove and maintain policies and practises that take care of our team and commit to fair and environmentally-friendly decision making.
We’re also 100% certified carbon neutral reflecting our deep wish to think and plan for the very long term.
Benefits…apart from changing the world of course!
- Additional annual leave day to celebrate your birthday
- Social events scheduled throughout the year
- Annual team development day
- Access to internal and external Learning and Development opportunities
- Access to free counselling assistance through EAP
- Flexible working arrangements
- Creative office space in the heart of Redfern
How to apply:
To apply you must have permission to reside and work in Australia:
Please send your CV and cover letter to [email protected].
In your cover letter please include:
- How your skills and experience best align with the job
- Why you want to help change the world
Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Due to the high volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Any questions can be directed to the email address above.
No agency interest, please.