Technical Project Manager (Web)
Use your skills for good
Charities are a wonderful vehicle for creating change because they empower ordinary people to become advocates and supporters of causes. We created Marlin to help charities get people to join them, and then hold on to those people.
We want individuals, teams and organisations doing good in the world to succeed. One of our ways of helping is to create effective fundraising and marketing websites and digital platforms for them.
Marlin’s unique strength and philosophy is our approach to creativity and communications – to think beyond a single campaign or a single year and more in terms of supporter communities. As the result of our merger with digital agency Leafcutter at the end of 2019 we now have the capability to further strengthen this approach by providing end-to-end services for organisations across strategy, creative and digital.
Marlin aspires to be an organisation that raises $100m+ in funds annually for our client partners in the next 5 years. To achieve this target Marlin has created a communications and fundraising framework that aims to provide a full service across all aspects of the supporter experience within an organisation.
Our clients trust us because of our experience, and their endorsement has helped create a sustainable level of new business through word-of-mouth.
The Technical Project Manager role has been created as part of the development and growth of the Digital Development unit within the business.
The objective of this unit is to provide our client partners with the ability to create engaging digital platforms that engage ordinary people to do something extraordinary; via encouraging them to find information and support causes that they believe in, and remain involved. The Digital Development team provides an essential revenue stream for the business and collaborates and is supported by the wider Marlin team.
Your Job Function/Role
Your role is to help Marlin to develop and drive the growth of the Digital Development team by leading and supporting the delivery of projects and the development of internal processes and frameworks.
You will be:
- A strategic advisor: providing and building subject matter expertise, developing and executing solutions for our charity partners, and communicating best practices to the sector;
Your role is to help Marlin:
- Become the leader for digital development products and services to the for purpose and not for profit sectors;
- Contribute to the development of the Digital Development team into a business unit which contributes to 20% of Marlin’s revenue and the funds raised by its clients;
- Be inventive about creating processes and frameworks which will improve workflows and build knowledge of digital development activities across the organisation;
- Create further collaboration between all business units within Marlin;
- Adopt a relationship driven approach to your work internally and externally. When working externally assist in the uncovering of opportunities for new business development;
- Be efficient at setting up project planning and documentation that enable the rest of the agency team to manage and complete communication projects.
You will report directly to the Head of Digital, and will work closely with other digital producers/project managers and other team members.
Production and delivery
- Briefing production resources on projects we are working on and what is expected to be produced by the production resources, in what timeframe, to what budget
- Quality assurance of project deliverables – making sure that any project leaving our doors is of the highest quality standards
- Ensuring on-target delivery of our project stages. Making sure resources have clear plans and instructions to work to and that they meet their obligations throughout the various project stages.
- Risk mitigation is essential. You are expected to take a problem solving approach and bring in the Head of Digital where issues are foreseen.
- Production and project management – resource management. Scheduling of resources, following processes, management of multiple resources across multiple projects, ensuring timelines are met, getting the team around you to deliver industry-leading standards of work.
- Client Relationships – building rapport with our clients, delivering valuable suggestions through a consultative, relationship and solutions driven approach.
- Identifying opportunities and up-selling services that provide additional value to clients – suggesting relevant services that could add value to our clients. Always coordinate upsells with business directors or the sales and marketing team.
- Work with the Strategy and Account Services teams to identify when/how digital development services and products can be incorporated into Marlin’s product mix and services that are provided to existing and prospective clients.
- Adopt relevant techniques to share examples of what could work, including examples from Marlin’s (and your own) extensive experience.
- Develop documentation and templates to support the sale of website, microsite, campaign landing page, web application and integration solutions.
- Alongside the Strategy and Account Services teams, use a consultative sales approach that earns trust by seeking to identify what prospective clients’ needs are, or what objectives they are at risk of failing to reach without support.
- Attend internal and external meetings to support the sales process.
Processes and frameworks
- Support the Head of Digital in the development of team processes and integration of digital knowledge and expertise with other departments.
- Proactively contribute to the building of frameworks, processes, and documentation to help the Digital Development team be as effective and efficient as possible.
- Spread knowledge about digital best practices throughout the organisation.
- Assist in onboarding new colleagues and contractors into the Digital Development team.
Brand management and positioning
- Support the strategy and execution of Marlin’s acquisition of digital development projects.
- Ensure all Marlin materials follow brand guidelines (or identify when new ideas require brand guidelines to be updated).
- Assist with the provision of appropriate estimates and timelines to prospective or new clients ensuring the scope of their project or needs are aligned with the project brief. Identify shortfalls in client project expectations and recommend additional scope if required.
- Adjust client’s expectations if timing requirements are inconsistent with studio / resource capacity.
- Maintain client’s expectations when things change in terms of timing and project scope (fees).
- Work with the account services team and/or Head of Digital to ensure work is scheduled into the studio and/or development teams in a timely and anticipatory manner.
- Ensure appropriate resources are scheduled to correspond to the scope of the project.
- Complete your tasks in the allocated time and ensure resources which are scheduled to complete tasks on projects assigned to you are done in the allocated times.
- Assist the Digital Development team lead by contributing to quarterly review of the profitability of various project types, in order to help identify project processes that need improvement, changes to agency’s project estimates, or biases for marketing / sales activities.
- Participate in measurement of staff satisfaction on an annual basis, and Marlin staff social events.
- Proactively identify areas for relevant training and development and apply to your manager.
- Complete timesheets on a weekly basis.
- Set up regular catch up meetings with your manager and attend.
- Save all work to Google Drive so that it can be backed up daily, following file naming protocol and following established folder structure.
- Be on time to meetings.
- Follow work policies regarding leave, and safety at work.
- Working with the Head of Digital to maintain team morale amongst project management team members – encouraging their efforts, painting a positive picture of the businesses efforts and achievements and encouraging them to continue doing a great job on the project they manage as we work towards our growth ambitions.
We will use the following metrics to gauge performance of your role:
- All technical project managers and digital producers, including yourself, invoice a minimum of $120K ex GST per quarter.
- Marlin expects that this revenue target will be consistently achieved once the probation period is completed.
- These numbers are based on the business achieving corresponding sales targets.
- A minimum of 38.75 hours per week are recorded in Streamtime for yourself and each team member in the project management team.
- The minimum hours may be different depending on your Employment Agreement.
- Average of 70% billable hours achieved.
- Ensuring average customer satisfaction rating of 90% or higher across the project portfolio as defined by a positive feedback result from the client satisfaction survey and reviews and assessments by the executive management team.
- The tool to measure this feedback is pending revision.
What your day will look like
- Deliver projects on-time and on-budget, and a continued ability to impress clients with quality
- Build and nurture genuine, real, and lasting client relationships
- Present work and facilitate meetings and workshops with confidence
- Identify and seek growth opportunities with clients that align to their business goals and digital strategy
- Work with non-digital client stakeholders and effectively communicate a digital process/project
- Deliver, understand, and communicate across a full project lifecycle, including research, ideation, UX/UI, copy, design, development, testing and post launch activity
- Work with the other departments to cross sell digital work
- Scope projects and prepare project plans, timelines and budgets
- Proactively act as a key source of client feedback and insight for broader Digital team
- Ability to run daily stand ups with the digital team to review the project status and identify any potential issues that need to be resolved.
How to apply
To apply you must have permission to reside and work in Australia.
Please send through your CV and cover letter to [email protected].
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Any questions can also be directed to the email address above.
No agency interest please.